Monday, December 1, 2008

Evacuation?

Why does CNN have to sensationalize everything? This morning I was lounging at the guest house after breakfast and was watching the news just to get an update on the airport situation. The reporter from CNN said that people were making the drive to the military airport 140K away from Bangkok to be "evacuated" from Thailand. Evacuated? Really? Because I am going to the mall to see a movie this afternoon and I don't feel as though I need to be evacuated from this place. This sort of crap is terrible because it makes people worry. Since my parents believe everything they see on TV, I can't help to think they are worried sick that I'm still in Thailand. Sure the protests are making things inconvenient for travelers, but that is all.

I was late getting a ticket to Phuket. Everything was booked going south yesterday so I have lost a day here in Bangkok. That is okay. Yu and I went to a Japanese restaurant for my birthday which was better than the initial plan (box lunch on an overnight bus). The last two weeks are all planned out now. I won't be traveling too far once I get to Phuket. Yu will meet me in Krabi the last week for some rock climbing and kayaking. We should be able to get a few dives in at Ko Phi Phi. I suspect that budget accommodations will be hard to find in Ko Phi Phi, but perhaps we'll get lucky with the lack of people coming into Thailand and get a good deal at a nice place. I also told Yu that we need to go to Tony Romas (It's the place for ribs ya know) for my last meal. It is somewhat of a tradition to go to that restaurant in every capital city I visit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

of course, as soon as I say something, your protest is over. We'll try not to trash your house for the marathon party.