Saturday, December 13, 2008

Krabi and the Superday











I'm going through a my tube of SPF 50 faster than Michael Jackson though whitening cream!

Krabi was described to me as one of those places you go if you want to escape the crowds of Phuket. It is true is some way, but you get the feeling that Krabi is growing faster than the current infrastructure allows. Proof by the fact there is a McDonalds, Burger King, and Starbucks. As with most places here, you don't stay in Krabi town. You stay at one of the beaches around the towns. I picked Ao Nang beach to stay for a couple days and wait for Yu to meet me before heading to Koh Phi Phi. Ao Nang beach is not as nice as Karon beach in Phuket, but the atmosphere is much more relaxed. From Krabi, you can join a number of tours which take you to surrounding islands for sightseeing, kayaking, elephant trekking, etc.

I decided to sign us up for the James Bond island tour in Phang Nga Bay. I had the feeling that this would be a bit overrated, but it was okay (still overpriced though). It is funny how a franchise like James Bond can draw huge crowds. I'm glad I did this tour just to check it off the list. If I opted for something different, I would have always wondered how good it would have been. The next day, we signed up for the SUPERDAY dive. The SUPERDAY consists of three dives which include King Cruiser (wreck), Shark Point, and Anemone Reef. Although the wreck dive was at 30 meters, I felt really comfortable at that depth. This time I was able to see the leopard sharks and ghost pipe fish. One of the sharks actually swam circles around us in a playful manner. It was quite exciting. Yu was able to take some great pictures and a short video of the shark. I am wondering if what I am seeing on these dives is normal, or if this is really good stuff. The only way to find out is to dive some place else and see for myself.

I will post some pictures once I get the underwater ones from Yu.

No comments: