Sunday, November 30, 2008

Germans love David Hasselhof

And SE Asia too. There are Germans friggin everywhere! I have actually gotten accustomed to following German tour groups around the temples and getting a free guided tour.

And who is taking care of the Netherlands right now? Is there anyone home? I swear, there are also so many Dutch folks here that you think no one is in Holland right now. I suppose I don't blame them. The weather is crap in Holland now.

Due to the protests and the closing of the Bangkok airport, I took an early bus from Siem Reap to Bangkok. The drive reminded me of South America coming from Bolivia to Peru. The road was absolutely shit heading to the border from Siem Reap (one flat tire on the way). However, once across into Thailand, it was smooth sailing in an air conditioned mini-van on nicely sealed multi-lane roads. In all the trip was 14 hours and I was cashed by the end.

Still monitoring the situation here. I'll likely get on an overnighter (bus) to Phuket tonight. There are flights coming into a military base about 140 K from Bangkok, but I hear it is a real zoo down there. Khao San Road seems to be business as usual with the nightlife still going strong. I suppose it wouldn't be a complete backpacking trip without some sort of major problem. I'm looking forward to chilling on the beach and getting my PADI certification. Hopefully the airports will open up by the time I want to leave.

No comments: