Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Double Album

I have added a second set of ten songs which will remind me of this leg of my journey. This latest trip definitely had a different feel compared to the first two parts. I think some of the songs reflect that.

Blond Redhead-Spring and by Summer Fall. For some reason, I was reminded of the last date I was on before leaving Dallas. The girl mentioned seeing Blond Redhead when they came through and I immediately thought of this song which is from their album 23.

Estelle-American Boy. This is one catchy ass song. It is huge overseas. I explained to Thad that this was one of the pop songs I actually liked before leaving Dallas. A night in the club was never complete until you heard this song.

Scissor Sisters-Take Your Mama. When you are on the slow boat on the Mekong with no reading material, your mind starts to wander. Maybe I just wanted to dance after sitting on my ass for so long.

Ivy-Only a Fool Would Say That. Originally a Steely Dan song. It was constantly playing in my head as I was shopping in the night market with Yu and a Dutch gal named Karin.

Clash-Guns of Brixton. I should have used Lost in the Supermarket, but for some reason I was thinking of this song while browsing through a Japanese supermarket with Greg in Hong Kong. Note that salmon heads (or fish heads in general) are a delacasy for Japanese folks.

David Bowie-Young Americans. I sat in front of three very chatty American girls on their way to Thailand for the first time. I was also listening to a lot of David Bowie before going on this trip.

Velvet Underground-Beginning to See The Light. Great conclusion to my trip.

Luna-Some track off of Bewitched. Not sure of the exact song, but it was one of the songs which reminded me of particular people back home. As I said before, you tend to think a lot when you are in one place for a real long time.

Death Cab for Cutie-Your Heart is an Empty Room. Same as above.

Aimee Mann-Wise Up. Hmmmm. This reminds me of my cousin Peter who, for lack of a better term, is weird. There were some facts that were made apparent to me later which explains much about his behavior. In any case he reminds me of a character from a Paul Thomas Anderson movie. Except the story doesn't have any closure after two hours and there is no end in sight.

Honorable mention:
James Bond Theme by the guy who wrote the James Bond Theme.

No comments: