Friday, April 3, 2009

They Travel in Pairs

Noosa is a small town and most folks arrive and stay for only a day or two. Due to the length of my stay, I felt that I had to stay for a while instead of wasting days on a bus or train. I started to notice that people were arriving to my hostel in pairs. Everyday pairs of travellers from different countries arrived my dorm room, Germans, Swiss, Danish, Israelis, English, and Norwegens. It was as if the rain was a signal for Noah to collect pairs from each country to deposit into the ark also known as the Koala Backpackers Hostel. The only single traveller in my dorm was a Welsh guy who had been travelling since the last world cup (yep, thats three years ago). All this got me thinking that I'm about ready to stop my travels.


My plan was to file the claim for the stolen backpack this weekend. In so doing, I mentally reviewed the list of items in my bag which were stolen. The list was fairly short, but each item had wither high practical or emotional value.

1. Passport- high practical and sentimental value. Do I really need to explain? I can't go home without it. It also was chocked full of stamps and visas from all of the countries I've seen over the last 8 years.

2. Camera- High practical value, low sentimental value. Although the memory cards had all of my picutres.

3. Books (Autralia Lonely Planet and Buddism Explained)- High practical value, low sentimental value. One can argue that you don't need a travel guide for Australia. However, I ended up buying another one when I returned to Auckland.

4. Journal- High sentimental value. I'm really pissed off about this one. As Heather and others can attest, I was writting a lot over the past two months. Only a tiny fraction of my journal entry made it to the blog. There was about a half year of memories documented in that book. My hope was for Teo to be old enough to read it one day and to become inspired to travel the world. However, after some thought, he has already been to Berlin within the first six weeks of his life, so I'm thinking that travelling will not be a problem for him.

5. Sunnies- High practical and sentimental value. I loved those Smith sunnies! I'm wearing those sunglasses in nearly all of the pictures in the blog. I ended up replacing them with a pair of Electrics, but they are just not the same as the sliders.

6. The pack- I also loved that DaKine pack. I replaced it with another brand and I just don't like the fit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Crikey. Re: photos & journal, my Dad traveled around the world and got back w/ everything, but had his Rambler broken into and the dude took his trip slides & journal. So, moral: better to lose the stuff while doing what you love, than lose it when your Rambler is parked on the street.