Thursday, April 16, 2009

Second Time Around











Well. I arrived in Zermatt yesterday afternoon. The place was just a bit less crowded than I remember due to it being the last week of the season. Being back in Zermatt is kind of surreal. A few things have changed, such as the addition of new hotel which was under construction when I was here last year. Some things haven't changed, like the high prices for food. I happened to run into Bemsy as I got on the bus to the hostel. She was the first of many familiar faces I would see this trip. I'm only here for two nights, before heading to Zurich so I'm gonna make the most of my time here and reminice about all the fun I had here with the PL kids.

I spent nearly a whole season and never saw a storm like the one we had today. We are supposed to get about a meter of snow over the next two days. The upper mountain is shut, but the lower mountain is still skiable. The snow flakes that are falling look like giant postage stamps. They are what my friend Alex calls 'Base Builders.' The snow is making the place look like a real Swiss ski resort in the middle of winter. Those who are lucky enough to stay until Saturday (change over day) will be blessed with waist deep powder. If it does clear before I leave, I should get some great shots of the Matterhorn (you can never have too many pictures of the Matterhorn).

No comments: