Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Red Rocket Returns











I still can't believe that I was surfing off the beaches Australia a week ago and now I'm snowboarding in the Swiss apls. This morning I was putting on my snowboarding socks and saw that I still had my flip flop tan line. Now I'm going to work on my goggle tan this week. I truly feel blessed having the opportunity to travel around the world and enjoying things I would never have done staying at home in Texas. I'm glad the end of this chapter in my life is finishing in Switzerland. Seeing the mountains one more time makes me feel complete.

I was hoping for more people from the Peak Leaders group to come back for the reunion. Unfortunately, the kids are busy with exams or lack the funds to come out. My first stop is in Saas Fee which is in the valley next to Zermatt. I'm staying with little Emma and Hamish in their parents flat. Since Hamish broke his collar bone a week ago, I'm using his season pass this week. Last year, we spent over 70 days on the mountain. This year, I have spent two and a half days. My legs are not in the same shape as they were a year ago. Every time I strap on the board, it feels like I'm riding for the first time.

Saas Fee is much smaller than Zermatt. However, the freestyle park is awesome. The kickers are well shaped, the halfpipe had the perfect pitch with well maintained vert. Emma is teaching lessons in the morning, so I'm doing a lot of exploring myself. I need to be careful since this place seems to be more avalanch prone compared to Zermatt and I still don't own a beeper. Come to think about it, a beeper is only good if you are riding with a partner. Since Hamish is out of commision, I'm less likely to take risks off piste by myself. In any case, I'm chillin' on the mountain and should be well relaxed by the time I get home to Dallas. The time change hasn't affected me too much, but I did sleep about 11 hours the first night here.

No comments: