Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Look at that Rippah...Crikey!

Instead of flying up to Cairns, I ended up heading to Noosa from Brisbane. The weather forecast didn't look too good, so I figured heading a little north would buy me some time. Australia is definitely more expensive than NZ for travelling. Both hostels and food prices are jacked up. It may be a function of being on the east coast in summer. I guess it is not bad since I'm here for less than a week.

Spending a few days in Sydney only left me about 5 days for the rest of my travels. Originally, I wanted to do a cruise and some scuba diving further north, but I'm only able to do a few activities and limit my travel destinations. Noosa will be the furthest north I would go. All of the other destinations would mean lost time on the bus.


Never in a million years did I ever expect to see the Crocodile Hunter's Zoo. I remember watching the older shows with my buddies and laughing my ass off. Steve Irwin's antics looked like excerpts from a animals bloopers show. Since the zoo provides free transfer from Noosa, I decided to spend a day there to check it out. The place was awesome. It was one of the best zoos I've been to. You are able to get up close and touch the koalas and kangaroos. The staff were really accommodating and would take time out to take your picture and talk about the animals one on one. The highlight was the croc feeding which is not like what you have seen on the TV shows, but a more mild form. The zoo is constantly expanding. The original zoo was just a reptile reserve, but now it has everything. They plan on expanding over the next few years to add an Africa and Americas exhibit. It is a must see if you are going to Queensland.

No comments: