Saturday, April 4, 2009

Brisie

I walked past two nearly identical piles of vomit this morning on the way to the South side river area. The contents were about the same. Same color. The only difference between the two piles was that the second one was actually stepped in by someone. It reminded me of the all the dog shit on the side walk in Buenos Aires. The vomit was located next to two adjacent park benches just outside of the Tinbilly Hostel. It is the hostel with thumping base emanating from the bar 24 hours a day. I'm so glad I didn't book there.

So my day started off with me trying to see the Nick Cave Exhibit at the performance hall. I really wanted to see it since I was late to the place the day before. I reached for the doors and everything was locked. Then I looked at the hours printed on the side of the door. 'Exhibit open from 10AM-4PM Tuesday-Saturday.' However, to me it read 'You are fucked!' So I wandered over to the GoMA which is the modern art museum. The GoMA had a free Chinese contemporary art exhibit, so I hung around for the rest of the morning before heading to Chinatown for some grub.

Brisbane isn't bad. It does have a nice area downtown by the river with museums and performance halls. like with most cities, it would have been good to see it with a local. That way you can really find things you would have missed in passing. Banana Benders Hostel was one of the better places I landed during my time in Australia and New Zealand. It reminded me a little bit of Pudu where most everyone in the hostel knew each other after a couple days. I made a few new friends in the hostel and was even taught how to do the Tim Tam Slammer (which is a method of eating a Tim Tam cookie by using it as a straw for hot tea). It was a good place to wind down the travel to this part of the world. looking forward to going home now.

No comments: