Monday, April 20, 2009

Press The Eject and Give Me The Tape

What a mess. I have returned home to Dallas and my room now looks as if my bags exploded. There are clothes, winter gear, bags, chocolates, and unopened mail all over the place. On top of that, the refrigerator broke and the yard needs a good manicure. It seems that I have been thrusted back into the domesticated life whether I like it or not. I'm feeling a bit a relief coming home and knowing that my travels have ended for the most part. It is a much different feeling than the previous time where I couldn't wait to get out of the US again.



I have been absolutely rocked by the north Texas allergies since returning. I do not with this affliction on anyone. The evenings have been especially bad since I can't breath through my nose. Being home also means boiling hot temperatures and bugs that bite and sting. maybe I should have stayed in Switzerland after all.



The end of my travels signifies a close of a chapter in my life. It's as if I'm on a long road trip and I'm tired of listening to the same mix tape. Now I'm digging in the glove box looking for another mix tape to play. However, nothing is labelled so I'm not sure how the next tape is going to sound. Will it rock, will it have too much electronica, will it remind me of an old girlfriend (the break up tape)? It is a mystery to me, but what I do know is that it WILL be different. I'm sure in the future, I'll have to press the eject and change the tape again. But until that happens, I'll welcome the new tunes coming from the old car stereo.



Below is the conclusion to my list of songs from Patagonia to Switzerland. Consider the box set to be complete.

Fleet Foxes- He Doesn't Understand Why. This is one of the only new albums I had on my ipod before it was stolen in Queenstown. I listend to this album constantly while I was on the Overlander and the Transalpine.

Ambulance LTD- Heavy Lifting and Ophelia. Wow. It turns out I have listend to these two songs nearly a billion times according to my itunes counter. The album was good, but I didn't think I was listening to it THAT much. I think these songs were on a play list I was listening to a lot while in Patagonia.


Elliot Smith -Thirteen I think this is a Big Star cover. The song was featured in the movie 'Thumbsucker' Not much to say here other than the song reminds me of me friend Heather in Chile.

Nouvelle Vague- Ever Fallen In Love. Another cover song. This time I wasn't sure whether to put the Buzzcocks version here or the bossinova cover version. I kind of like the softer bossinova version so it makes it on the list.

Oasis- She's Electric. This reminds me of a German gal I met on the Routburn track. A funky girl with red dreads.

Travis- Writing to Reach You. I'm not sure why this song is here, but I was listening to it a lot. maybe because I was seeing a few people for a second time during this part of my trip.

Franz Ferdinand- Matinee. Yes I know they have a new album, but my ipod is ancient.

Verve- Lucky Man. This song burst into my head while I was walking on the beach in Australia. I was already thinking ahead to Switzerland and thought, shit! I'll be snowboarding in less than one week!

MGMT- Kids. I should thank Emma for putting this song in my head. It is one catchy ass song. Makes me want to throw big air cab 5s.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The Fleet Foxes. What the hell is up with that video? A bunch of scruffy dudes playing a song while GOATS wander through the room. WTF??