Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wats Up?







I arrived in Bangkok without issue and met Yu at the airport. Yu is a friend of an old TI colleague and will be traveling with me for a couple weeks (she is local which will help with the logistics). We arrived at Lamphu House where I was able to get a room for about $10 per night. The place is backpacker central just off of Kao San road. She showed me how to use the public transportation so I could get around on my own. Since it was the weekend, we went to the JJ market. The market is huge and you can actually find good stuff. We spent about 2 hours in the market and only saw about 1/3 of the shops. It will be one of those places I return to just before leaving back to the states. Ended up buying a few shirts at the second hand country western store anyway.

I thought that Taiwan was cheap, but Bangkok has proved to be the cheapest place to eat so far. My first lunch here cost me just over $1. There are plenty of tourist attractions near the guesthouse. I have had one of those long days where you try to see as much stuff as possible in the shortest amount of time. My legs are beat and I'm dehydrated. I was able to see the grand palace, Wat Prakaew, Wat Pho, and Wat Arun. My camera got a ton of use this afternoon. Most all of the Wats look like they were just unwrapped from the packaging. Everything looks so new and shiny. It is a shame that these places are not open at night. The lighting at these places puts another dimension to their beauty.

Found the USB port. Enjoy the few pics.

No comments: