Thursday, October 9, 2008

The other side of the family







The first time the entire family came to Taiwan, I was 5 years old and my dad was the same age as I am now. Nearly all of my mom's side of the family lives in the US or Canada now. However, I haven't seen many relatives from my dad's side of the family since 1985. My father comes from a huge family of 11 siblings. I guess contraception wasn't used back then. My cousins Steve and Mary (who are music teachers) live in Taipei have proved to be excellent tour guides. One amusing thing is that their German is better than their English. When we are speaking, they inadvertently throw in German words into their English. We communicate with a mix of English, Taiwanese, Chinese, and some German mixed in. It must sound really wierd for people listening.
Steve and Mary took me to Yilan for a long spa session. The entire area is littered with hotels specializing in hot spring spas. They have been going there every weekend for a long time so they had everything sussed out for me. The first pool had tiny fish in it to peck away dead skin from your toes and whatever else you put in the water. After that, you had a variety of pools to choose from. Some pools were infused with chinese herbs, others with fruit or flowers. There was even a milk pool! Once we were done with the pools, we moved over to the massage jet area. This section had at least 40 different stations with all sorts of jets to massage any part of your body. You had to search for ones which felt good since some of the jets are so strong it feels as if the flesh is being ripped from your body. My favorite was the foot massage jet shooting up from the bottom. My cousins will try to whip me into shape for the Yushan climb. We are going to hike some smaller hills in east Taipei tomorrow.

No comments: