Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Rain. Jeez!













With time running down in Taiwan, I decided to cut Chinese classes short this week and head to Hualien to see Taroko Gorge National Park. The weather has been really fickle the past week and I arrived in Hualien during a driving rain storm. The scenery was nice, but not as good as it could have been with clear skies. One of the hiking trails started from the hostel, so I made an attempt to climb it, but the rocks were as slick as a freshly waxed bowling lane. Also, part of this trail traversed a spine with steep drops on both sides. It was best that I didn't attempt the entire route (nearly busted my ass on the way back down).


I had a bad feeling that the weather was going to totally ruin this trip for me. Abrupt changes in weather has been the norm since I've arrived in Taiwan. Looking out the window the next morning, I was surprised to see blue bird skies. After a quick breakfast, I was out the door looking to see as much as possible while I had the chance. Little did I know that the rain would be back early in the afternoon. I was able to see a few of the highlights the park had to offer before the skies opened up on me again.


More bad news due to the weather. Alishan railway has been closed indefinitely due to a landslide washing out a section of the tracks. It looks like another destination will need to be skipped on this trip. Thankfully, my Jade mountain climbing permit was approved, so I've got that going for me.

No comments: