Wednesday, June 25, 2008

WMDR

I survived the worlds most dangerous road and all I got was this stinkin´T-shirt. Jane and I biked down the Bolivia´s death road yesterday. The ride started at about 4600 meters and ended at approximately 1100 meters above sea level. The scenerey was scary and spectacular at the same time. The road is carved out the side of a mountain which has 450 meter cliffs just a foot or two off the the left. The road boasts at least 300 fatalities yearly from people falling off the cliffs. Our tour company was one of the best in La Paz. The bikes were full suspension and made the ride very enjoyable. They intentionally geared the bikes so that you could not go extremely fast. Most of the time the pedalling could not keep up with the speed of the downhill. I had to tell myself not to look over the edge because I know that I would freak! The altitude change meant that I was dressed in full winter gear at the top, then stripped down to the T-shirt at the bottom. We ended the ride at an animal reserve where we were treated to the best home made pasta and organic coffee.

I´ll have a CD with pictures which I´ll post once I return to the states.

Now I´m in the airport getting ready to head to Rurrenabaque for a Pampas tour. Warm weather at last.

No comments: