Saturday, June 7, 2008

Too many excursions in a row

Jane and I have come to the conclusion that too many excursions booked back to back is not a good idea (at least without a rest day). We have spent the last 4 days waking up at 6:30 AM to get picked up for our tours outside of Salta. Tomorrow, we are going leave for San Pedro Chile at 7:00 AM. I guess we´ll get a lot of sleep on the bus.

The last two days have been packed with activities. Yesterday we went horse riding at an estancia named Sayta. This place was a very well organized ranch and the horses were easy to control. I highly reccommend this place for anyone, even for those like myself with no experience on horses. The entire package was a bargain. Breakfast with an all you can eat asado lunch (bottomless wine) and 6 hours of riding for about $65 US. The scenery was excellent and many people stay multiple days on the ranch. They even offer a multi day trek in the mountains were you camp out with the gauchos. The highlight was a lasso demonstration where I ran down the path and the gaucho tried to rope me. Met some really nice Aussies and a French couple who brought surf boards all the way from Europe (they are doing a west coast surf tour through Peru and Chile).

This morning we took a ride to a small town north of Salta named Humahuaca. This trip is geared for tourists. Every stop along the way has merchants selling their wares. I did see some really nice wood work, but it would probablly be destroyed in the backpack over the next six weeks. The tour stopped at many historical sights which may have meant more to me provided that I knew more about Argentina history. The highlight for me was the seven color mountains and a section of mountians called the palet.

I have a ton of picutures, but the internet connection is crap.

No comments: