Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Three months is just peanuts

I though I would add an entry with regards to the people who I have met during the first month of my South American travels. For most people, three months on the road seems to be a long time. However, compared most people who I've met over the past few week, three months is the lower end of the range for travel time. I have not met many Americans down here. I expected to see a bunch of kids just out from school, but that has not been the case. Most of the people who I've met are people just like myself. Those who were tired of the day to day monotony and wanted a break to re-evaluate their lives. I have also met a lot of people who seem to be running away from problems. Who knows what these issues are, but I suspect that some amy be failed relationships, family issues, or the law. Most of the people we have met have been from Israel, Holland, Switzerland, and the UK. Sprinkle in a couple Americans, scandinavians, and Aussies too. Below is a list of funny things about the people we've met.

1. Even folks from Norway think Bolivia is really cold (this leads to another blog post).
2. I´m amazed at all of the women travelling on their own (especially Dutch girls).
3. Anyone travelling for more than four years in a row is actually running from the law.
4. Israelis ALWAYS find the cheapest accommodations in town.
5. At some point, everyone has had something stolen.

I´m surely missing some obvious points which I´ll add if they come to mind.

One last thing. I met the mother of the 2006 world's strongest man. Phil Phister brought home the title to the US in 2006. I roomed with his mother in a four person dorm in Chile. CRAZY!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Was she buff.... Down there? "Triumph"