Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Home Stretch

The trip is turning out much differently that I had originally planned. That is what happens when you just go where you feel like it. Originally, I had planned to go back to Switzerland for some summer snowboarding. I had packed enough winter gear for a day or two in the mountains. Well, I never made it to Switzerland, but I do not regret it. As my friend Jon says, I go to Switzerland more often than Jon sees his parents in Wisconsin. It was nice to see a few new places which I would have skipped if traveling alone. The only down side, is that some place we wanted to go required advanced bookings. June and I were a bit cursed with the San Fermin festival in Pamplona (AKA running of the bulls).

It was not my intention to even go to northern Spain, so we didn't plan ahead initially. This became a bit of a problem since trains and accommodations were somewhat limited due to all of the people attending San Fermin. We arrived in San Sebastian and found that our accommodation for the pension was already filled. I didn't check for the confirmation of the reservation before arriving , so we ended up scrambling for a place to stay during the weekend. Lucky for us, we did find a place not too far out of town. San Sebastian is small so everything you need to see is within walking distance (for June and I, that meant beaches and tapas bars).

Now I know the beaches in Europe are a little different than those in the US, but I never thought I would see so many naked people in my life. Even though I expected this, it was still a shock. The most shocking thing I saw was this 50-60 year old lady who was so dark and wrinkled, she looked like a walking raisin. She was the most disgusting body on that beach that day. For the most part, the beaches were the best here. The sand was soft and clean, the temperature was mild, and the water was fantastic. Similarly to the trip in Thailand and Australia, I closed out my Europe trip relaxing on the beach. We had been bouncing around from town to town that it was just nice to spend a day relaxing in the sun. June and I would pack up and spend the last couple days in Madrid before heading back to the states.

No comments: