Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Basque Country

Well there are some events in my life I will never forget. The past year and a half has yielded a few major worldy milestones and events close to home. At the top of the list is seeing Obama giving his acceptance speech while I was downing a bowl of noodles in Hong Kong. Second on the list had got to be Michael Jackson's passing. We were just discussing the dates he was going to play in London with a guy in our hostel who had tickets. The next day, he was all over the news. Today, in Bilbao, June and I were treated to MJ songs in every bar and restaurant.

My experience with Spain had been great. In fact, I must say that I prefer Spain over Italy (more if this I will talk about later). The only thing I'm having to adjust to is the languages spoken in each corner of the country. Although my travel Spanish is decent, it is still tough to understand what people are saying in northern Spain. The Basque signs are also screwing me up too. It seems that none of the food terms are recognizable except for a few. Bilbao is a nice place so far. 9 o'clock is drinking time and everyone vacates the shopping squares for the bars. Rightly so, since there is still daylight at around 10 PM here. June and I are checking out the Guggenheim tomorrow, then off to San Sebastian.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you at the running of the bulls?