Saturday, June 27, 2009

Moving North

Today, June and I are moving northward to Venice. This was not originally an intended stop, but June convinced me to go. So far the trip is going well although the spending is a bit out of control. I feel as though we have been seeing all of the highlights from each town we visit. If I was to return for a shorter trip, I would likely rent a car to see more of the country side. Travelling by train is okay for the time being.

After a couple days in Florence, it is clear that this is high season. Lines are fairly long for the museums. There are so many tourist groups wandering the streets and so many American kids on summer break. June and I quite enjoy meeting the young folks and chatting over the free sangria the hostel provides. One drawback is that I'm having a bit of an issue finding cheap accommodations in the heavy tourist destinations. This should add some excitement to our journey this week.

We have done so much walking and waiting in lines that we are getting funny tan lines on our feet from the sandals and shoes. Finding a beach to even out those lines will be a high priority once we reach the Mediterranean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sammy, I'll be in Europe from July 4th - the 26th. I'll be in Austria, Czech Rep, Poland, Italy, Netherlands, and Germany. Are any of these spots on your list? Good to see you posting updates again...