Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It was acceptable in the 80's

Things are getting back to normal after returning from Thailand. My sleep pattern is back in sync with the days and nights here in Texas. I've been moving around non-stop since returning to the US and this week is the first week I have with no plans.

With the extra time, I'm plotting my next escape from Texas and the United States. New guide books for Chile and Patagonia have been purchased and I'm deciding on the route and activities for this trip. Initially I wanted to do a lot of trekking, but I think I may narrow down the backpacking to 4 major treks.

It is a bit strange to be sharing the house with a roommate, especially with one who is quite a bit younger than me. Early this week, I was flipping through the channels and found New Order in concert on VH1. Jaime (my roommate) had never heard of New Order before and I began to explain to her the significance of the band during the 80's. The next day, the movie "24 hour Party People " was on the IFC. The movie chronicled the Manchester scene during the 80's with references to Joy Division and New Order. All of this seemed to be lost with her, but I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised since she was born in the 80's. I'm sure this would have been comical from a third party perspective watching the conversation. I'm probably going to end up being that old guy who can't relate to people over 10 years younger.

Did I mention I'm an uncle now? I'm headed to NYC to see my brother, Jennifer, and their new baby boy Teo. I joke with my brother that they named him Teo just so they can call him Mr. T later on. I hope I can find all of the things I bought for the baby when I was overseas.

No comments: