Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shock Treatment

Jon´s flight arrived a bit late in Buenos Aires, but he arrived to the hostel without any problems. I Jon carried all of the gear I had requested from home, even the items I said were optional. After dumping a couple items in Lima, my backpack was just under 20 kilos, so I didn´t really want him to bring down too much. Looks like I'll need to get rid of more crap before going home. With Jon in tow, we walked around the city checking out the different neighborhoods. We covered the city tour much faster than I expected. It was just like my first day in BA where Jane and I seemed to walk for hours on end.

Buenos Aires Spanish is much different than that of Peru and Bolivia. I have been getting adjusted to GOOD South American Spanish over the past two months only to come back to BA and not understand anything people are saying. The pronounciation is a bit different and I'm working through the shock of learning the sounds again. Still practicing every chance I get.

I took Jon to El Trapiche for his first Bife de Lomo. We arrived at 11:00 PM and the place was packed! The locals tend to have a different timeline that what we are used to in the US. Times for all the meals are shifted by a few hours later. This would be the first of many dinners where I would suff my belly full of red meat. After eating light fare such as ceviche and sushi, the body is not taking to the red meat assult too kindly. The lomo was just how I remembered it from the first time. The entire meal plus drinks cost us about $23 per person. GREAT VALUE!

We decided to cut our time in BA short. Looking over the schedule, we decided to take a detour to Puerto Madryn for some whale watching. This will be good since I will not be back during the whale watching season in Feb.

No comments: