Thursday, July 31, 2008

Separation Anxiety

Our last day started out no different than any other over the past few months. We both slept in a bit late and slowly pack our things to move to a hostel with better service and location. Once situated in the new place, we took care of some trip admin such as confirming our flights and mailing out some post cards. It was business as usual with out any sense of urgency to see things or be some place. The afternoon quickly came and we sped off to San Isidro for some ceviche. We ordered so much food which seemed to be the standard method of operation since returning from the Santa Cruz trek. After lunch we strolled down to the major round about to see what was playing in the cinema. By then it had hit me that by tomorrow at this time, we would be miles apart. Jane nor I mentioned anything about it being our last day together on the trip. After seeing the new Angelina Jolie movie, we went to Osaka (a Peruvian-Japanese restaurant) for our last supper. I think it was at that point we started talking about the end of our adventure together and the things we had done and were going to do. We spent a lot of time in the restaraunt and I decided not to go out for drinks since the taxi was going to be at the hostal at 5 AM. We just went back to the room, packed our bags, and brushed our teeth. Again, business as usual.

At last 5:00 AM came, we hugged and said our goodbyes. And just like that, our time traveling together was over. Now I have to get used to speaking Argentine Spanish again. The folks in Peru speak great Spanish for gringos. Nice and slow....Just how I like it.

I have spent nearly 7 months with Jane in 2008. I feel we have learned so much more about each other over the past three months. For example, the top of Janes left hiking boot shows a ton of wear. The right boot doesnt have a scratch on it. I know that this is caused by a weak left leg which was causing her some problems during the ski season as well. I got to know how sensitive she is to cold weather and luke warm showers. And of course there is the low blood sugar "Hulk Mad!" Jane which I experienced as well.

I will miss the dynamics of having her as a travel partner. Who is going to repeat the street addresses to the taxi drivers now? The one thing that I will always remember was that she was always supportive of me when I was struggling with my Spanish or when I was having a tough go with my bag getting stolen. I just hope that I was able to return the support when she needed it. The other characteristic that I liked was that she had no fear for hard physical activities. She was the one who propsed the idea to climb the 6075 meter peak in Arequipa! And did it! Not once did she complain about me talking about fly fishing (and I talked about it A LOT). Although she did get tired of my rants about the weight of my backpack.

She has been an excellent travel partner and I couldnt ask for anyone better. She knows that there will always be an open invitation when I go to Asia and back to Patagonia next winter,

1 comment:

Heather said...

And if your Cali friend is still in Patagonia (during our southern hem. summer), you both are welcome and invited... I don't really have a place to put you up, but will be happy to show you around and hike stuff with you!