Friday, May 16, 2008

My budget and bife de lomo

What a huge difference between Argentina and Europe!!!!
My initial budget for South America was $100 per day. Jane´s initial buget was half that amount. At first, I was skeptical that we could keep to that, but it has worked out well so far. Lodging is about $8 per night and meals rarely exceed $10. Most of the major cost so far have been coming from transport between cities and fees for tourist activities. The cost should be even less once we get to Bolivia and Peru. Cheap food prices allow us to indulge in fancier table fare. If you come to Argentina, you need to throw out the inner vegitarian and go for the bife de lomo. It is very tender cut of beef which you can cut with a spoon (if the meat is top quality). The same cut of meat would cost about $25-30 at Whole Foods. However, I´m able to order the steak (about 400 gr) for about $10. I can see why so many people come down and end up staying longer than planned.

No comments: