Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tight Lines
















My fishing guide Renaldo picked me up on time at the hostel. We were on our way to the Petrohue river running at the foot of Orsorno volcano. On the way, I realized that I had not asked nearly enough questions about the fishing trip as I needed. He explained that we would be primarily streamer fishing, but could take me to one of the tributaries for some dry fly fishing if I wished. I took a gander at all of the streamer flies he had and some from his dry fly kit. Everything looked similar to the trout kit I would have in Idaho.

We loaded up the boat and took a ride up to the river. It was a picture perfect day. I was the only one on the entire river. The water was clear (about 3 meters vis) and no wind to speak of. We stopped at a place which looked as if I was directly under the volcano. The first few casts from shore produced nothing, so we started our drift down the river. Within 15 seconds, I saw a yellow flash and my rod bowed in a very familiar way. It was a nice fat 16 inch brown trout which put on a great fighting display including a few leaps out of the water. The action was steady for most of the morning. The clear water allowed me to see fish chase the streamer from far away. Each flash of silver or yellow was followed by a nice tug on the rod. Although there were no huge fish, I was happy with one rainbow which nearly touched the 20 inch mark.

Later on in the afternoon, we bushwhacked up to a feeder stream to fish a couple pockets with dry flies. I was absolutely amazed by how many fish I was able to pull out of hole the size of my kitchen table. The trout just murdered the size 10 stimulator. That single fly must have caught 40 fish. By the end of the day, my arms and hands were tired and my face sunburned. However, it was one of the most spectacular fishing days I´ve had in my life. The day lived up to all my expectations and I will never forget it.

I´ll post pics when I have time. But trust me, the pictures look like they came out of a magazine.

No comments: