Friday, February 20, 2009

Pudu and Bariloche


The wind totally shook the plane like a souvenir glass snowball as we descended towards Bariloche. The poor Dutch girl in the aisle seat almost vomited before we landed. Bariloche was a familiar place and I immediately felt comfortable as I stepped off the plane. The walk uphill to the hostel from the bus stop was familiar as well. Emma (one of the owners) met me at the door with a big hug. It had been 6 months since I was last here. The place was a little different than before. There was more random art and the place felt broken in. I showed up just in time for curry night. John and Emma made Tandori chicken for the guests in the hostel. It was nice change from four straight days of spaghetti dinners. Thing were rocking at the hostel this time. I guess it´s high season after all.

I was excited at the prospects for the upcoming trek. The weather looked promising and folks I met told me the trails were in good shape. I tagged along with a couple guys who went to Cerro Campanario. The skies were overcast, but the views were still good. I would later find other places around the lake with even better views of the surrounding area. After provisioning for my trek, I came back to find two German girls who I had met in Torres del Paine. I have seen Sarah and Jenny every week since my travels began. It´s a common occurrence since it´s high season and most people have a similar route through Patagonia. There was a nice crowd in the hostel bar that night. I ended up going out with a few British and Canadian kids to a reggae bar until 4:30 AM. It would be a slow start to my trek the next day.

No comments: