Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day of rest and a dude who looks like Moby


Shaggy drank too much coffee Moby.


It is always smart to have one rest day after a spell in the mountains. I said goodbye to the German girls and hooped a bus to park Llao Llao. The idea was to have leisurely walk through some of the trails and maybe swim in the lake. I showed up expecting a park station where I could get a map, but there was nothing. I ended up tagging along with an Argentinian kid from BA and we went up to Cerro Llao Llao. It was at that point I started to contemplate spending a full year living in South America. My thoughts went back to Heather´s last words to me. ¨Sell your house and travel!¨ she said as I left Puerto Natales. In many ways, moving to South America is much easier than moving to Europe. The cost of living is cheaper, and I can actually work as a snowboard instructor here at Catedral as well. Of course my Spanish needs to be a bit better, but it is not that far fetched. Just move here a month or two early, take some classes, and I´m good to go. However, the pull of going back to corporate life is as strong as the forces which keep the moon in orbit. Could I pull myself away from the big screen TV, Eames Lounge Chair, 100 cable channels, and high speed internet? Is it possible? Sure! Anything is possible, but only real life experience would tell the truth. Coming from a family of doctors, I would be going against every respectful Chinese value. Would I turn into that crazy irresponsible uncle your parents kept you away from because he is a ¨bad influence.¨ Or could they embrace the changes in my lifestyle to put freedom and happiness in front of money and security. These thoughts ran through my head all day.

I met a nice English couple from London at Pudu. We would be travelling together to Pucon on the same bus. I ended up hanging out with them for the remainder of my trip in Patagonia.

No comments: