Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Count Down

Almost one more week to go. The countdown has officially begun. Everything seems to be squared away here in Dallas. I'm now making a list of things I'll need to buy before leaving. REI and Whole Earth Provisions love me!

I've learned a whole lot about how to pack for these backpacking trips from my experience in South America. My pack should be a lot lighter this go around compared to the last trip (not packing five pairs of pants this time). However, I do have the same delima regarding what clothes to take since I will be doing some hiking in the Taiwan and Thailand mountains. My guess is that I won't need too much technical equipment, but it may get a bit cold at 3900 meters. My parents are also expecting me to bring gifts for the family as well. I'll be loaded down when I arrive to Taiwan, but the pack will be super light once I'm in Thailand.

It's good that I'm leaving again. It will be nice to be on the road and taking language classes. You would be amazed at how quickly the day goes by when you are not working. It is not like I've been just sitting around, but there were a couple days where I nearly spent the entire morning and afternon in a t-shirt and underwear eating a giant bowl of cereal. Jane would be proud that I'm still eating breakfast regularly.

The South East Asia route has been decided. Everyone has been great giving me suggestions for places to see. I'll be wined and dined by family and friends while I'm in Taiwan and Hong Kong. The real backpacking begins when I arrive in Bangkok. I'll be headed north into the mountains then cross into Laos. From Laos, I'll either bus it down the Mekong to Cambodia, or fly directly to Siem Reap. The next stop will be Phnom Penh, then off to Phuket. My plan is to be in the water so much that I grow fins. Getting sooooo excited to go.

1 comment:

The Avilas said...

Hey! So sorry we missed you being back in town. Really enjoying this vicarious living through your blog. Glad you are getting to do all this and sharing with us!! Take care!